The Queensland Rural Medical Longlook Program (QRMLP) is an extended rural placement program. The program takes a longitudinally integrated, patient-centred approach to medical education.
The Longlook program is funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health Rural Health Multidisciplinary Training program.
Overview of the year:
- Block 7 Elective (with no orientation at G40)
- Block 8 & 9 14 week block (with orientation by QRMLP at start of Block 8))
- Block 10 & 11 14 week block
Each 14 week block is called a longitudinal amalgam. Students will complete two amalgams during the year:
- Amalgam EMCCO: Emergency Medicine and Critical Care
- Amalgam GPS: Rural General Practice and a Selective
Students wanting to enter the Queensland Rural Medical LongLook Program will need to preference one of the rural hospitals within the Griffith selection process for fourth year placements. The chosen rural hospital will be the location for the EMCCO amalgam which may be completed in block 8&9 or block 10&11. The GPS amalgam will be completed in the alternative block. Selection for GPS will occur after confirmation of placement in the Rural Longlook program as occurs for other metro placements.
Students should preference one of the following to join the Rural Longlook Program:
- Nambour hospital (accommodation provided with a contribution from students),
- Dalby Hospital (accommodation provided),
- Gympie Hospital (accommodation provided), or
- Beaudesert Hospital (accommodation provided with a contribution from students)
Information on practices for GPS can be found on the QRME website.
Available locations for Rural GP and Selectives (to be chosen after the primary allocation of hospitals for EDCCO) are:
Special Interest Area
Number of Students
Murgon Medical Centre
Griffith Kingaroy Student Residence (fully subsidised)
|Stanthorpe - My Family Medical||
||Griffith Stanthorpe Student Residence (fully subsidised)||2|
|Maleny - Medicine on Maple||
||Griffith Maleny Student Residence (fully subsidised)||2|
Gympie - Channon St. Medical Centre
Excelsior Medical Centre
The Gympie Clinic
||QRME fully subsidised share accommodation||3|
|Goondiwindi -Goondiwindi Medical Centre||
||Fully subsided share QRME accommodation||2|
QRME staff and medical educators are happy to discuss placement options and to try and accommodate your selective interests.